As Director of SV Accelerator, Robert Lee provides office hours to address start-up legal issues. Before joining SV Accelerator, he worked as a corporate and patent lawyer and law firms in Silicon Valley (JD/MBA UC Berkeley). Robert also has operational experience at two start-ups (both of which had successful exits), and so can provide legally-oriented advice balanced by practical knowledge of the business imperatives of start-up companies.
For clients interested in patent /technology advice, note Robert’s technical background (BS Biochemistry Yale University, published life sciences researcher, several EE/CS classes as part of his JD/MBA program at UC Berkeley. You can see his complete bio on the TEAM page.
These sessions are useful for:
- Basic information on incorporation, funding and founder issues.
- Intellectual property protection (patent, trademark and copyright).
- Understanding contracts and licenses.
- Advice on how to select a law firm (including referrals if desired).
- Guidance on how to manage your law firm when communication and project management issues arise.
Robert provides this service as a sort of general practitioner model of service, wherein early intervention with startups can do the most good. This service model can also help offset the problems with systematic bias and tunneling that subject matter experts can be prone to (see, the work of Nassim Nicholas Taleb and Eleanor Maguire, for example).